The US has extended its lawsuit against Huawei, in the light of the company’s “decades-long” plan to steal technology from US firms.
According to a statement released by prosecutors, Huawei violated the terms of partnerships with the US companies and stole trade secrets such as those of robot technology and source code. The recent charges add to the previous accusations made by the US last year.
Huawei has however denied the claims of violating US sanctions and stealing technology from T-Mobile. In addition, Huawei said the US is targeting the company owning to its expansion threat to American business.
“This new indictment is part of the Justice Department’s attempt to irrevocably damage Huawei’s reputation and its business for reasons related to competition rather than law enforcement,” the company in its defence.
The new accusations made by the US speak about Huawei’s racketeering and trade secret theft. Prosecutors also allege that Huawei offered bonuses to staff, who acquired “confidential information” from competitors.
“As a consequence of its campaign to steal this technology and intellectual property, Huawei was able to drastically cut its research and development costs and associated delays, giving the company a significant and unfair competitive advantage,” prosecutors said.
Sources suggest the new charges were filed in federal court in Brooklyn on Thursday.